Don't judge me bro

It blows my mind, how many laws, rules, and regulations us homeschoolers impose on one another. This may sound... Is... Trivial, but a blog argument going on right now is the state of dress, or undress of homeschoolers. This particular post is over at HEDUA homeschooling site and is titled, "homeschoolers please put your cloths on", or something like that.

Apparently, the writer doesn't like the sterotype that homeschoolers learn I'm their pjs, and are out to shame us himechoolers into wearing respectable clothing, while in our homes, teaching our kids.  

Well, I failed this one, and there's no way I could pass it. You see, I've been known to sleep in my clothes, and spend the day in my pajamas, and my kids and husband are known to do the same. You see, I just buy comfy clothes which might consist of medical scribs, yoga pants, drawstring flannel pants, t-shirts, maxi dresses, etc.  I've been known to purchase a pile of black outside pants from the lingerie department, and a pile of sleeping t-shirts from the men's clearance racks. People have stopped and asked me where my very cool outfit came from (that I wore out the house) and I have to
admit to wearing a $100 dressy shirt with $5.00 wide leg pajama pants.. Or lie.  So that's how I roll. 

And so what?  Who cares... I was comfortable, and looked good, and if I happened to fall asleep, then I was already dressed for it. 

His all leaves me with a big question... Who died and made these people the homeschool wardrobe police?  On the list of all the reasons we decided to homeschool, following someone else's instructions is not to be found on that list. I don't care I'd you show up at the homeschool meeting covered in rabbit fur and soil from the garden, why do you care what department my pants came from?  Better yet, even of I came out to a 5 pm meeting in Jeans and a sweater, why do you care what time I put them on? 

So this rant is nearly over.  But I'm going to go ahead and list all the other things I don't want other homeschoolers trying to dictate:
Math curriculum 
Community college
No Community College
sending my girl child to college
Not sending my girlchild to college
Science curriculum
My child's college choice or lack of
The young age my child graduated from homeschooling
The fact that my friends child kept homeschooling until almost 20
Immunizations
Ritalin
Dating
courting
Modesty
Homeschool room, or dining room table tent 

I could go on and on, but the point is that homeschoolers need to get a lot less judging, and a lot more flexible, because closemindedness does a lot more harm to homeschooling than me still wearing my pajama pants at 4:30 pm.  

Ps.  Both my college kids manage to get respectably dressed before leaving their dorm rooms. 
Pps.  This is written on an iPad.  Typos are unavoidable. 

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

They didn't have to take an extra "how to get dressed" class from the college because they were homeschooled? OK, still burning from the top post. :/

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...