I've lost faith in politics

I have been very, very distressed about the state of politics lately.  Feeling that it was fueled by a lot more than issues, conservatism, and liberalism, I began to feel jaded and cynical.  I still do.  In short, I'm disgusted.

I had lunch with a good friend Saturday, and we went there.  We discussed politics.  He said something that helped me compartmentalize what I was feeling about the state of our nation and it's rulers.

"Politics is like sports", he said.  "Everyone has a favorite team", he said.  "They don't care who's right or wrong, as long as their favorite team wins".

Yes.  I think that is the crux of the problem.  There are also underlying issues that dictate which team people join, but I really think he hit the nail on the head.

Do you see some truth in this?

Do you think I'm full of crud?

Just curious.

1 comment:

Matthew @ Team Activities said...

Hi, there--

I just came across your post about politics, and I have to say, it's something I've been thinking a lot about, too. And I think your friend is correct---I actually really like the metaphor.

What's most interesting to me, though, is that you started talking about politics at all. You said, "We went there," and I *get* that. All political discussions have become so charged that you can't talk about ideas anymore without people getting very upset. It would be nice if people could disagree politely!

Anyway, I was glad to hear your thoughts!

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...