Yet another school bus crash!

I just saw on the news that there was a school bus crash where a car tried to make a left turn in front of a school bus got hit.  The driver and a middle school child where life-flighted to a hospital, and 13 high school bus passengers where brought to the hospital by bus, and the school bus driver was also brought to the hospital.

This seems to happen a lot.

I spoke to a parent the other day who had a child on a school bus last week that had an accident and the parents were not informed.  They found out through the grape vine.  That parent began homeschooling this past Monday.  That was the last straw in a long list of complaints.

Last May 50 or more people were injured on a multiple school bus crash to Six Flags.

I know putting your child on the school bus is easier for parents than driving, but it has always made me nervous.  I am glad that we only have to be out and about the same time as the hectic morning commute (another factor) one day a week.  The rest of the days we stay home until rush hour is over.



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

4 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Actually statistically you are safer using the school bus. The whole lack of seat belts makes me reluctant to send my children on field trips that involve the highway, but for day to day driving it's way safer.

I would much rather my child rode the bus than even walk a few blocks to school. I see those crazy parent drivers who are thinking of nothing but getting out of there in a hurry so they can have their precious Mommy time or get to their jobs. Better protected in a bus, and it lets the children off on the curb of the actual school so they don't cross in front of Crazy Mom.

Maybe it is not like that everywhere and there are horrid districts. I cannot imagine not being told about an accident!!

Ahermitt said...

I dunno, we lose a couple kids a year in my district... that's a couple kids too many. Statistics are not consolation to the parents.

But, I am just glad that we have pretty much been able to avoid school buses AND morning rush hour altogether.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

A couple kids a year?? Something is very wrong with that. I have to wonder at their route planning, their driver certification, safety checks, school signage/parking lot layout... it would be worth the money to hire an independent firm to study that. :(

Nannie Leick said...

I think it is perfectly normal to feel anxious and protective when you are talking about your kid’s safety and welfare. But accidents can occur unexpectedly, whether you are walking your kids to school, or sending them out through a school bus. It is always best to be prepared on all occasions. I would advise that you brief your kids on different scenarios and give them your contact number in case something unexpected happens. Also, check out with the school bus administration or owner, and determine if their transportation is safe enough to use.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...