Your kids ARE more important than you are

My first thought this morning was:

"What's best for my kids may not be in my best interest. Deal with it or don't procreate."

It's an Andrea original, feel free to quote me.

It sits on my Facebok page right now, awaiting backlash, but it is only getting likes.  That's good.  But I didn't mean for it to be a crunchy feeling thing, I meant for it to be provocative.

I was thinking about someone in particular when it came to my mind.  Someone close to me hinted that I move their kid (across the country) in with me and have me homeschool them this year.  I didn't think
that would be good for my kid who was counting on having a one-on-on one year with me, or even their kid.  I feel like homeschooling is more relationship than learning... the parent's relationship... so I suggested that I would be in charge of everything... teaching lessons via Skype, giving out assignments, checking and grading work, but the parents would have to continue parenting and housing their kids.

They decided that even though this kid was three years behind schedule, they would keep them where they were if I wouldn't homeschool them because it was not in their best interest  (the parents) to be the active homeschoolers of their kids.

This is just one of several circumstances I have encountered where parents have said, well that would be amazing for the kids, can you do it for me? ... because it would put me out if I did it myself.  (This is not just about homeschooling, but even just signing a kid up for something they need, or taking extra time to go over work in the evening.)

How dare you open your mouth to say that your conveniences supercede your kids needs.  What is wrong with you?

....ok... now I feel better


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yowie. And do they not see that that is what they are doing? And how does the CHILD feel about all this?

Good grief.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...