Vocabulary for homeschoolers or people who slept through Grammar Class

About three years ago, when my kids were about 12 and 15 I overheard an argument. One said "Its pronounced QUEW-EE-YOU"  the other said "It's pronounced "QUAY-AWAY".  This went on for a while, so I walked up and say what word are you arguing over.  They showed it to me.  It was:

queue[kyoo] Show IPA noun, verb, queued, queu·ing. noun


1.a braid of hair worn hanging down behind.
2.a file or line, especially of people waiting their turn.
3.Computers . a FIFO-organized sequence of items, as data, messages, jobs, or the like, waiting for action.
I chalked it up to a homeschool mistake.  


I had a similar incident the other day with my daughter. We were watching the Dragon-con parade and I couldn't see the sign that a group of black colored elves were carrying and asked her to
read it.  The sign said "Darkened Facade", or something to that effect.  Only she read the word "Fay-Kayed" I had her repeat her self a few times till my brain picked up that she meant facade, but as most 16 year olds would do... when I corrected her, she argued with me.  I finally mumbled "homeschooler" and moved on to the next conversation.

 In my defense, there are some important words that I taught my kids at an early age.  Our very favorite words to teach kids (before they could wrap their small mouths around them) were:

  • Facetious: not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark. 2. amusing;
    humorous. 3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential,
    amusing
  • Rhetorical: A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point and without the expectation of a reply.
  • Scarcasm:  A harsh or bitter derision or irony. A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark.

If you know my sense of humor, you understand why it was important for my babies to know these words so they would not grow up confused.  I remember my son at age 5 asking if that last statement "was facetious or rhetorical." 

Speaking of which, another set of words we all need to understand is:

Hyperbole: deliberate exaggeration used for effect: he embraced her a thousand times
Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance (but leaves out the word 'like').

(hence follows too much information for the average person)
Because I can't understand how so many writers could be in a tizzy over a wrap lyric. The big news is that Female wrapper Nicki Minaj has endorsed Mitt Romney, (which neither side wants) When Nicki Minaj says " I'm a Republican voting for Mitt Romney, You lazy b-s F-in up the economy".  She proceeds the verse with raps about how loaded, ...errr rich she is.  She follows it with the statement that she chill's (hangs out) with zombies out in Miami.. and then adds a bit of an incantation.  It's all ridiculous at face value!  But if you look at it like the poetry it is... (yes it is), you will see that first she says she's richer than all the other rappers, then she points out just how rich by saying she's a Republican voting for Mitt Romney...  Ok.  I don't get the Zombie part, but if I did the research, I gather she's still bragging about how utterly awesome she is like all rappers do.  Out of all the dozens of writers who wrote on this "breaking news", only one person got it. 

"Nicki Minaj Is Voting For Mitt Romney Because Everything She Raps Is Definitely True ...Considering that this is coming from a woman who has (at least) three rap personas, and in her next breath brags about "hanging out with zombies," this can hardly be considered a genuine endorsement. Could be that the Harajuku Barbie's fourth persona's a Republican voting for Mitt Romney, or that she just wanted something to rhyme with "zombie," or she thinks it's hilarious that anyone would waste their brainpower on overanalyzing this?" (from Jezebel site)


I know the average homeschooler probably doesn't analyze rap, but you'd be amazed how many grammar and poetry elements you can discuss through music. 




Metaphor
A comparison which does not use the words like or as. Metaphor example: "Life is a journey.


FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
ahermitt.com

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I had to click through and then I got onto some JEZEBEL (!!) site and the home page discussed "secret vagina auditions."

I am done analyzing things for today. :)

Ahermitt said...

Thanks Happy, the Jezebel site is just pop culture... I tend to ignore what I don't want to read... not thinking ahead. Anyway, I pulled the pertinent text to my site so no one has to click through.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...