Dear Judy Blume: Double Fudge is Double Dumb

Dear Judy Blume,

First of all, I love you.

I read my first book by you over 30 years ago, and have been a die-hard fan ever since.  In fact, I purchased a few book of yours for my daughter when she turned 11.  So imagine my surprise when I read the synopsis the book "Double Fudge".  Based on the synopsis, the book over exaggerates all of the worst stereotypes there are about homeschoolers from not having friends to not being "socialized. 

Really???

I am very disappointed.  May I suggest a new book looking at a realistic view of homeschoolers.  You are a writer, I would think you'd be a reader too.  If you were, you would know how much homeschoolers have accomplished, and how worldly they are.

Just as an example, right now, I am home alone as my almost 15 year old daughter is away for a week at the college she hopes to attend in the future.  While it may be a girl's college, she will be just turning 17 when she enrolls, and it is her choice (she's free to change her mind).  She had no problem walking away from us to spend a week with complete strangers, and has only texted me once the entire week.  My son (almost 17) and his two cousins of the same age are on an adventure as they went on a business trip with my husband who will be working, so they are exploring a new city.  Sure, my daughter bursts into songs spontaneously, but only because she is a singer with  plans of doing musical theater, and we have very few TV and electronic restrictions, so she is not mesmerized by the site of a TV.  My son has never licked or bit anyone.  Your portrayal of the homeschoolers in the book Double Fudge is downright insulting.  I'm hurt and disappointed.



FREE HOME EDUCATION WEBSITE
MY BUSINESS WEBSITE
WalletPop Contributor
Brighthub Contributor

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Eek! I am afraid of the television! I read another review of her book as well and it sure sounds like Blume is just interjecting a crazy stereotype in there. It isn't even a consistently proper stereotype, either, yk?

Of course this chick is obsessed with sex, more sex, and sex sex sex. Most of her books are about children and sex. At least the ones I've come across. Ew.

PS if the person having sex is under 18, it's called kiddie sex. This chick is sick IMO to write about it at all.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...