They're right, we can't teach everything!

Don't you just love it when non homeschoolers and anti-homeschoolers grill you on how you will teach your homeschooler Algebra, Geometry, or Trig? First of all, they assume that we never learned these subjects in the first place (but at lease 70% of us have). Secondly they think just because they have forgotten how to do math since they have left highschool that so have we. While it's true that some of us do have trouble teaching homeschooler some subjects, people don't give us credit for having basic common sense. It is as if we don't have enough sense to look outside of ourselves should the subject matter get a little touch for us parents.

Enter homeschool tutor. When my first child reached pre-Algebra a few years ago, I got a bit unnerved when I taught my son a math concept wrong. Realizing my mistake, I ran right out and hired a tutor. The tutor helped my son for two years and while she was teaching him, I listened in and asked questions about areas where I was rust. My second child is starting Algebra now and so far, I have been able to answer any questions she had. So hiring a tutor gave me a double benefit. It helped both of us improve our math skills.

Finding tutors in your area to come to your home is not always possible. Besides the high price tag, availability in your area might be low. However, you can easily find an Online algebra tutor for a very reasonable price should your homeschooled student need help. Such a service is very helpful for homeschool students who might decide to tackle Algebra in the middle of the night. With the help of a website like Tutor Vista, you can have an Algebra tutor available to you 24 hours a day, and seven days a week.

So should my daughter (and I ) get stuck this year and need Algebra tutoring , it is good to know we can get the help we need. Should my son need Algebra 2 help, (a subject that didn't even exist when I was in high school), I also know where to find assistance.

If your homeschooled student needs Algebra help this year, you should know that you can try the service before you buy it. TutorVista offers Free online algebra help to help you decide if you like the service or not. They help with other subjects as well.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Me at the Families.com Homeschool Blog

Visit My Education Column at Examiner.com

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Don't you think this also speaks to the fact that we weren't taught that well in public school if we can't remember the concept??

I think so.

It also speaks to the fact that for *most* people, advanced math is not a necessity. SOME people need to get over raising other people's kids and raise their own. :]

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...