Defending Homeschooling

I spent a bit of time defending homeschooling on my families.com blog. Another blogger on the site decided to spend time giving a teachers opinion, which of course was off the mark as far as a homeschooler like myself is concerned.

Some of the articles I wrote are

Dealing With Homeschool Inconsistencies
by Andrea Hermitt

In a past article on the Cons of Homeschooling, I responded to stereotypes that people see as cons of homeschooling and also mentioned some of my own ideas about possible cons of homeschooling.

Perceptions of Homeschooling: When others think you are doing a bad job
by Andrea Hermitt

One of the hardest parts of being a homeschooler is dealing with the criticism that goes along with it. Just reading the occasional article or blog makes it clear that by homeschooling people have the perception that we are doing a bad job with my kids.

Perceptions of Homeschooling: The Weird Issue
by Andrea Hermitt

When I was a teenager, my family (including parents and siblings) used to tease me about being weird and perhaps a bit crazy. The reason was that I was always doing something unexpected, and a bit off color. I said things they did not expect. I had ideas that were a bit unusual.

Perceptions of Homeschooling from the Media

by Andrea Hermitt

I just read a 10 page article on homeschooling that showed up in my Google Alerts today. It actually turned out to be dated Oct 5, 1998, but it came to my email box as new news. Still, there were several statements in this article about homeschooling that caught my eye.

Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Me at the Families.com Homeschool Blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not homeschool, but I enjoy visiting different blogs. Your perspective on homeschooling is very unique and I enjoyed reading your honest opinions on the matter. Keep up the good work!

Jen
http://www.ListPlanIt.com

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...