What is the Problem with Being a Christian Homeschooler?

What's the problem with being a Christian Homeschooler? I asked this question in an article that was recently published on Associated Content.

I should have known better. People don't necessarily mind Christians... homeschoolers only scare a select few, but to homeschool your child as a Christian, well that's just crazy. Here is the response I got, and there are sure to be plenty more:

The problem is that many, if not most, Christian homeschoolers do so in order to
indoctrinate their children, to brainwash them with their distorted world view.
This often includes devaluing scientific fact, such as evolution, in favor of
the Creationist fairytale. The children often become socially awkward at best,
mentally ill at worst. While there is nothing wrong with homeschooling your
children, in many cases it actually borders on child abuse. Children are not
born Christian, they're born to Christian parents, and they should not be
indoctrinated with myth and superstition.

I mean how do you answer amateur namecalling like "Creationist fairytales", "mentally ill", and "child abusers". There was nothing intelligent about his tyrannical rant. This person has got to be about as crazy as he thinks we are. How dare I teach my children my beliefs!.. For some reason it seems that any other religion can freely teach thier kids and are respected, but lately it seem that Christians are under fire.

I guess it is a good think that my kids don't have to deal with this attitude in school.

Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

Visit Free Home Ed. Homeschool For Free!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!
I just watched the documentary, Jesus Camp. The two main children they followed around were homeschooled. They waited until the very end to warn the viewer that we are trying to take over the country and need to be stopped.
I guess we are really scaring a lot of people.
I am happily indoctrinating my children to carry out the commands of Jesus ;)

Ahermitt said...

I caught a bit of that program... they edited to capture the extreme.. and probably left any balanced material on the cutting room floor.

Crimson Wife said...

Yikes! One could very easily rewrite that diatribe as a critique of government-run schools by substituting just a few words:

The problem is that many, if not most, government-run schools indoctrinate children, to brainwash them with their distorted world view. This includes devaluing their family's beliefs, such as traditional morality, in favor of the secular progressive fairytale. The children often become peer-dependent at best, and illiterate thugs and welfare queens at worst. While there is nothing wrong with traditional schools, in many cases it actually borders on child abuse. Children are not born secular progressives, they're sent to secular progressive-run schools, and they should not be indoctrinated with moral relativism and anti-intellectualism.

Ahermitt said...

very true Crimson... the thought had crossed my mind, but I decided to let the ignorance of the commenter show itself.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...