Middle school girls and Sex

My daughter is middle school age. She takes homeschool classes with other middle school students. She is almost 5 feet tall. She is just over 100 pounds. She still looks like a little girl. She acts like a little girl too. (she is child wearing yellow in the banner).

Last week when I took my kids to the doctor and told her I wanted to put off the Cancer immunization until she was older, the doctor informed me that kids start having sex around my daughters age.

Now I am hearing that a school in Maine is giving out birth control pills and patches to middle school girls WITHOUT parents knowledge or consent.

I look at my daugther and it just doesn't make sense. Now I know that there are girls her age who certainly are more developed than my daughter, but at this age, I believe more effort should be put into monitoring and teaching children than giving out pills.

Even if we put the moral ramifications aside... can someone tell me how school can give out birth control to girls without even knowing if thier bodies can phsially handle it. What about medical histories. What about blood clots. what about migraines, weight gain, and other side effects. Should a child fall ill after taking birth contol pills and a parent not know she is on it and she dies... who takes the responsibility then.

Oh, and parents can't send a kid to school with an antihistamine, but schools can send kids home with the pill.

Crazy. Yes, this is a good reason I am glad I homeschool.



Read more Notes From a Homeschooling Mom

3 comments:

Ariana Sullivan said...

So true! I agree with you 100%, it drives me crazy what's happening these days at schools, what's taught and handed out as normal and ok.

It seems like everywhere there's this unsaid (sometimes said) though of "well, they're bound to have sex, so let's protect them from pregnancy".

Uh huh, yeah, let's not teach them that they should wait, let's not teach them about STDs and love and what sex is about, let's give them birth control pills and send them on their merry way without so much as a passing thought about the parents.

Sprittibee said...

Amen to that. And you can kill your baby, but there's moral issues why it isn't OK for some English lady to get a transplanted face from someone who has died. What is wrong with us?!

Anonymous said...

You are so right that they can't go to school with an antihistamine...I was a high school nurse for several years and kids couldn't even carry tylenol on their persons or an epi pen if they were seriously allergic to bees or peanuts. Everything had to be locked up in the nurse's station and we had to have signed forms from the parents and the doctors before administering.(It was always a nightmare of paperwork and faxes back and forth between people before everything would be considered legal). And the school can give out birth control pills without anybody knowing...What a disconnect!---

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...